Question:
My small room means big problems, any suggestions?
meowmix4eva
2006-04-02 17:08:19 UTC
I have a tiny room and a small closet and a lot of stuff to fit in it! I'm into a lot of crafts and art media so that's a lot of stuff, plus half of my room is oddly shaped from the sloped ceiling. Any suggestions for how to organize the things in it so it doesn't feel like a prison cell?
Ten answers:
Chanteuse_ar
2006-04-05 13:02:02 UTC
Here are some very inexpensive options that should help open up your space.

Store your off-season clothing and any other linens you don't use often in Space Bags (you can get them from containerstore.com). You fill the bags with clothing, seal them and vaccuum the air out with a vaccuum cleaner. Your items will take up about 1/4 of the space they did without the bag and you'll be able to get more things in the bureau that way or on the floor or top shelf of the closet if you have one, or under the bed.

Get an overdoor shoe organizer for your shoes. It will go on the inside of your closet door out of sight and you can use any empty pockets for craft supplies, and other small items.

Check out the underbed storage containers at container store while you're there. They make them very long so that would be a great place to store your craft supplies and media.

You can double the space under your bed with bed risers (see link below) which don't cost very much and get two of the underbed containers and stack them

Also consider installing shelves or wall cabinets on the wall over your bed. That space is empty, you may was well use it. You can get inexpensive cabinets and shelves from Home Depot. Just make sure you leave enough space over the bed so you don't bump your head.

Finally, if there are things you have not used in a year or two, you probably don't need them anymore. Appeal to your mother again by telling her your room is uncomfortable the way it is and that getting rid of things you don't need by selling, donating or just throwing them away will go a long way toward making it more comfortable. Perhaps you can put some things in the basement or the garage if you have that option.

Good luck!
writerbynature
2006-04-02 17:19:11 UTC
I lived in a 7 by 9 foot room in a tiny apt in NYC for 17 years.

First, use your wall space. If you have tall ceilings - build a loft. I built a loft bed in the bedroom and used the space below as a desk.

I lived with a roommate and as many as 5 cats. Everything was stacked on shelves - TV and that kind of stuff.

The good news for you is electronic stuff is getting smaller.

If you can get free standing book cases, that has the advantage of being easy to set up. We built shelves, so you have to know where the beams in the wall are and how to put the brackets in so the shelves don't fall down.

We found a loveseat length couch that unfolded into a bed.

We had stacking shelves in the kitchen, bathroom and bedroom and covered cat litter box.

Also - careful placement of mirror tiles will make the space seem larger. If you have windows, consider viny plants like pothos instead of heavy fabric drapes.

It actually becomes a fun challenge once you get into it.

I just sold a 3 BR house and am living in a 1BR apt. I have floor space because I know what to leave in boxes and how to maximize closet and wall space.

Label every box you have and be mindful of weight, so you can move things as the seasons change.
deanna
2006-04-02 17:39:48 UTC
I have the same problem. I’ve solved it somewhat by painting the room, trim, moldings, door, and ceiling, everything the same shade of celedon green. I used a pale shade and the entire space looks bigger because there are no visual breaks.

Then I use a small rolling cart (salvage find I painted) that has 2 open storage shelves underneath for my current project of choice. That way I can roll it out of the way when I’m not working on it.

On the shelves I have stacks of plastic square food “bowls,” the type that are made to be cheap enough to throw away after one or two uses. These are great for holding all my little bits and parts and look nice and neat.

I am buying underbed storage boxes as I can afford them and in the mean time I also have shallow boxes (some cut down) and box lids that I can store things in and slide out from under the bed as I need them. You can even elevate the feet of your bed to hold taller boxes.

I also found a shelf that hangs from the clothes rack for shoes that I use in the closet; not all the little shelves have shoes in them.

I buy all the old square or rectangular Tupperware and Rubbermaid storage containers I can find cheap at yard sales and flea markets for storage in my underbed boxes or on my closet shelf.

I hope this gives you some ideas!
2006-04-02 17:40:06 UTC
Prison need not be how you feel,,even if your room is confining.

My first suggestion,,,if it's ok with MOM,,, would be Shelves, Shelves, another row of Shelves, and then more Shelves.

Beside the fact that it will give you more storage space, it will allow you to actually see what you have, catalog it, organize it, decide what is unnecessary, and don't tell MOM if you choose to NOT keep something.

It can be as enjoyable as it is small, and anyway it's your sanctuary, treat it as such.

Rev. Steven
2016-05-20 16:04:11 UTC
My mom and I currently have a huge dog/tiny dog combo. It really is a lot of fun!!! They get along just great also. My mom has a Great Dane/English Mastiff mix. She truly is a gentle giant. At around 9 months old, she is to where I can barely lift her anymore! One thing we really have to watch with her though is that she does not realize her size, and accidentally steps on my dog. Which brings me to my dog. He is a yorkie-poo. At 5 months old, he is around 7-8 pounds. He is very intelligent and fairly easy to train. Both of our dogs are black, they look just adorable together! My yorkie-poo doesn't shed, and has curly hair. My mom's dog does shed, but has short hair. I do think both dogs would get cold during winter, so perhaps a garage with a pet door or something would work best. I am not sure what we are going to do with our dogs during the winter while we are at work. They currently both stay outside in their cages while we are at work, run free when we get home, and sleep indoors. It really is fun having two dogs of such different sizes and temperaments, I hope it works out as well for you guys as it has for my mother and I.
Photogra-mama
2006-04-02 19:06:07 UTC
Get some attractive storage boxes to organize your stuff in and fit them under the bed in a way that will be easy to have access to
2006-04-02 17:11:28 UTC
Use Bright Colors lots of white and light brown open windows and the little room will open up. Don't hang anything dark on the walls
Rae
2006-04-02 17:26:11 UTC
Do u have a basement because if your parents would let you you could use that for a bedroom or turn an extra room into craft central ya know what i mean or an extra room or something
starr81
2006-04-02 17:23:23 UTC
Use clear stacking tubs to store things (crafts) in closet. Hang shirts in closet. If you can buy a mate bed with drawers under it (100.00) for the rest of your clothes. Bright colors for bedding. try realy hard to get rid of things you dont use.
2006-04-02 19:45:56 UTC
try organizing ur things. also try shelving. go through ur stuff and get rid of stuff u are currently NOT using or wont be using anytime soon