Question:
will high gloss spray paint give my metal box a good finishing coat over the satin hunter green paint I used?
Ryan
2010-02-28 21:24:46 UTC
I have a little project I'm doing and its a metal box with a lock so I cleaned it up and sprayed it with three or four coats. The spray paint I use was SATIN hunter green and I put plenty of spray paint on it so if it gets hit or even tapped it wont show the old blue that was on it but with even the four coats it still sucks. I think it is because I used satin but the lowes I was at didnt have high gloss hunter green so I got the satin. My question is if I buy a clear coat of high gloss or if I can find high gloss hunter green spray paint if I put one or two good coats over the already satin hunter green will it keep the paint from being so thin? I put many coats on but it seems like the layers are all in one so one nick takes it all the way down to the original paint. QUESTION is will a couple of high gloss coats fix my problem over the 3 or 4 coats I allready have on it? sorry it was so long THANKS a lot
Five answers:
Spanner
2010-03-02 18:00:20 UTC
Yes. IF you want extra shine, spray a coat of clearcoat (clear gloss) on top of your top coat.
hermanns
2016-12-29 10:31:52 UTC
Hunter Green Spray Paint
ixcotoyac
2016-09-29 08:57:11 UTC
High Gloss Spray Paint
krn001
2010-02-28 21:39:53 UTC
Hi,

The satin finish isn't the problem if it chips to the blue. A light sanding & primer would allow the satin to bond as well as a gloss finish. Numerous coats are fine as long as they are thin coats being applied.
Ginger
2010-03-01 00:00:22 UTC
I doubt it. I would just enjoy the paint job, and keep a sheet of sand paper handy for a quick scrape and top coat to touch up. By the base being metal, that's the way the cookie crumbles, I mean paint scratches. Good luck.